Unicorn Quest for Mac
Sorry, but this old Beta no longer works with the current Mac OS. It is for older
Macs only. The latest Macs won't run Unicorn Quest, which was compiled for pre-MacOS X.
If you have an old enough Mac, I have two versions available -- a
character version, which most of you will probably want, and a
character version for those of you with small screens (such as on Mac
Before you download it and get started, please read this page -- it has
some very important information for all users.
First of all, this was a beta release. That means it was never a finished
product. We know there are a few things that don't work.
How to Play MacUnicornQuest
The following instructions will get you started. For more information about
the game, see the "Directions for Play" file.
- Open the "MacUQ 3.2 files" folder and double-click the "MacUQ 3.2s
b981003" icon. (This folder holds the data files used by the game -- don't
move, rename or delete any of them!) For your later convenience you may
want to make an alias of the program and keep it outside the folder, to
- This version of MacUnicornQuest is adapted from an MS-DOS game, so it
doesn't use the mouse at all. (After all, you're supposed to be learning to
- Navigate the screens and menu options by using the arrow keys to move
the highlight from item to item. Use the [esc] (escape) key to jump back
one screen at any time. Select items with the [return] or [enter] key.
- Enjoy the game!
- System 7.0 or higher. MacUnicornQuest will not work under system 6. (It
does work with MacOS 8 or 8.1 just fine.)
- If you downloaded the large character version and find that it is larger
than your screen, you need the small character version instead.
- 2 MB of RAM is recommended. (Feel free to try running it with less and
let us know how you do.)
- If you have removed the "Monaco" font from your system, please put it
back. MacUnicornQuest uses it for display.
Things That Don't Work Yet
- Printing: None of the printing commands
are enabled. You can earn your certificates when you complete levels, but
you won't be able to print them out.
- Sound: Unicorn Quest normally beeps when you make an incorrect
keystroke. This function doesn't work in this release.
- Display: In level 3 (the sentences level), occasional characters get
left behind to the right of the typing area.
- Strange bug: One of our testers had the following experience: the first
three times she clicked on the icon to run the game, the file unStuffed
itself again. It has worked properly since.
Extremely Important Notice for Users of Black-and-White Macs
If you are using a "toaster-style" Mac such as the Mac Classic with a
built-in black-and-white monitor, MacUnicornQuest will not display some
information correctly. There is a work-around for this, which will take you
just a couple of minutes.
- Double-click the "MacUQ 3.2s b981003" icon to start the program. You
will see the main window appear, but it will be solid black. Wait a few
seconds, then press the [return] key.
- At the next screen you will asked for your name. Type it in and press
[return]. You will then be asked to select LEFT, RIGHT or BOTH for the
hands you will use in the typing exercises. Use the left and right arrow
keys, if necessary, to move the highlight onto your choice and press
- There will be a short delay while MacUnicornQuest writes your
information into a file named "STUDENT.DAT". The main menu screen will then
appear. Quit the program as follows: press the X key to highlight the
"Exit" option, press [return] to select it, and press [return] again at the
credits screen to quit.
- Open the "MacUQ 3.2 files" folder and look for the just-created
STUDENT.DAT file. Open it with TeachText, SimpleText or any word processor.
- Change the last line of text from:
- In TeachText or SimpleText, save the changed file and quit. (If you use
Microsoft Word, use the "Save As..." command and next to Save File As Type
select "Text Only" -- replace the original file and ignore any warnings
about loss of formatting information. In other word processors, be sure to
save the file as plain, unformatted text. Quit the word processor.)
- MacUnicornQuest will display correctly in black and white the next time
you start the program.
Download Unicorn Quest for Mac
For those of you who didn't get it at the top of the page, here's another
place where you can download
Unicorn Quest for the
Macintosh or, if you have a Mac with a small screen, the
character version. Enjoy!
For general information about Unicorn Quest, return to
Head over to my toolshop.
Return to the front gate.
Page maintained by Thelion.